Thread: Background questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Background questions

So the Eightfold Path are a militant order, and believe I read that they are dedicated to the eradication of evil, and focus on the draghoul plague.

So do they only fight the Draghoul, or would they also go track down brigands etc that are stealing from the local populace?

Do they get involved in local wars as well, say if Mordanburg went to war against another nation? Or would that be dependent on whether that nations state religion wasn't worshipping Mother?

I remember Cad saying in the last video he did with BoW that the Ironhold Empire (Troggkin) was thrown back by the Eightfold Path after the Queen of Whitefellden converted and joined the order. So just like any historical militant order they would be in the thick of things on the politics front (just like the Templars in history).

Eightfold Path are "above" the law (well the acended/whitecloaks are), so just like things like the historical Spanish Inquisition they are open to corruption and perhaps looking out to further the spread of the order a bit too much (and this conflicting with other factions). They can also become the Brigands themselves using extortion with villages otherwise they face being named as "tainted" (a bit like a few of the Spanish Inquistors used to do historically as well).

Their "call to arms" on the recruitment posters may be to purge the fabled realms of the Draggoi, however as the saying goes "absolute power corrupts...absolutely"

BTW apology to Cad as he will no need to come along and straighten out the names of the factions as I always seem to only get them half right

It may be that they fight for Mother, rather than the eradication of evil then.

Certainly I remember them being above the law as such, in that you can get out a sentence by volunteering for them, which will then see you absolved if you ascend. And yeah I do remember mention that not all them are as noble as you'd think, given I think it was an ascended who sold his services to that professor to help him capture a Draghoul to study.

Hi All,

They are definitely involved in politicking and as Phaid said Queen Isoldia of White Wynfel converted to the faith of the Eightfold Path to gain their aid against the Ironhide Empire (Trogkyn). The Trogkyn weren't evil (from their own perspective) like the Mongols hordes, but they did follow a different religion.

An Ascended of the Eightfold Path may go after brigands and thieves but this would be on a case by case basis as different Ascended enact their beliefs in sometimes very divergent ways. One may protect the village, if the villagers were faithful, the other may extort money from the brigands to pay a tithe believing the money may be of more value to the Faith or themselves.

Elves and dwarves in general do not follow this religion, but are tolerated as they still believe in the same aspects even if they think they are individual gods. Followers of the Six are not tolerated (imagine medieval Catholics and Protestants) even though both religions believe that the Six, Mother and the Eight exist, just in different ways.

Are the live talks saved some where? I am having trouble finding them now.

Kickstarter Backer Paul Richardson's Avatar
    There's a thread in the Kickstarter section: http://4groundforums.com/showthread....ckstarter-Live

Thanks Mr. Richardson.