Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fabled Realms Cog Ship

Fabled Realms Cog Ship

The cog (zvezda?) from your salute display a couple of years ago was nice, but I'd like to see 4Ground do a Cog chock full of all of the glorious interior detail we've come to expect. The symbol of Mordanburg needs a physical representation for a dockside combat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i_0_3186202944D3676663072_23.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	30

That's be really, really cool! I support this! :P

Kickstarter Backer
    I say Arrrrrrr! My wallet says hang on a minute!

Hi guys

The Cog, and other ships, has been something asked after before. As you say, the Cog (I think it was Zvezda) that we used on our display table made the dockside come to life. The curvature of the ships is the main issue, we haven't yet found a solution that we are happy with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dockside.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	34

Probably just as well. Not sure my willpower is high enough to withstand a test vs one of those appearing in the store!

Kickstarter Backer Paul Richardson's Avatar

Kickstarter Backer
    The cog is boxed by both Revell and Zvezda, the latter coming in several different guises with a few different sprues but the Revell ones are easier to find, searching for cog or kogge usually does the trick. It is nominally a 1/72nd scale kit but works well with 28mm figures. Best of all the kit is designed to be built as a waterline or full hull model so you do not need to cut the hull to waterline it.

What would be nice would be some laser cut sets to do things like increase the size of the castles and add some weaponry. Unfortunately I do not think such sets would be commercially viable.

I picked up the old, inaccurate and faintly horrible Heller Columbus set and I think all three ships will be useable with a fair bit of work.

The Revell and Emhar longships are very good but you will have to cut them down to the waterline yourself. The Smer and Heller ones are horrible and should be just sneered at from a distance.

There is a lasercut wood kit available - but is very basic and quite a bit of money (especially after you've paid $25 to ship from the US)

Kickstarter Backer
    There are some UK ones as well but I don't think laser cut MDF works very well for ships, a hull built up from 'slices' looks wrong to me and fixing that would be a lot of work (apply filler, sand and repeat ad infinitum). Plastic or resin for me I think.
    That is of course a personal opinion and is probably best ignored.

This one isn't made up of stacked slices. As far as I can see it has twisted panels to give the 3D curve. I did not say it was MDF ;-) I think it is 1/16" ash plywood.

I've brought one anyway so I will see what it is like to build. It is definitely a basic wargaming model, not the sort of thing your average boat modeller would be proud of (it even has a square section mast, not dowelling!).