Thread: Unpainted Models?

Kickstarter Backer

Unpainted Models?

You used to do unpainted versions of some of your models. Is this still an option? For example I was looking at the palisade wall sections and towers and thinking that they they would end up being repainted if I bought some , it just seems a bit daft getting the painted version of something if you are going to paint it yourself anyway.
    I can quite understand if this is not an option as it would be a bit of a nuisance having something different.

I buy the painted ones (even though I end up repainting them). MDF is "weird" stuff with paint and just seems to soak up paint (even spray primer). Getting the painted ones with a paint that's already on and acts like a primer is a LOT easier than trying to paint up bare MDF

Kickstarter Backer
    Painting untreated MDF is a hassle.
    I am going to try some buildings i have left with Gesso first. An experiment.

As others have said, the painted version would be a better choice due to the absorbancy of the MDF, the paint on the kits should act as a primer, in theory it should save you priming it yourself
    Thanks,
    Luke (Lurkio),
    Senior Laser Technician / Community Manager / Production Manager

If you absolutely want to go the unpainted route, don't muck about with anything but MDF primer (or vinyl bathroom paint) you need something with a low/no water content in it to stop warpage over time, MDF is just saw dust and resin pressed into sheets, in other words its a sponge made out of sawdust, hence it drinking paint, you need a good primer to seal it before you even think about applying any colour to it. Its worth having a small amount of a good solvant based varnish (or shellac) to apply to any exposed edges (especially if you live in a humid area) as over time they will swell, you dont have to so much with the burnt edges from laser cutting as the carbon acts as a natural barrier to water ingress, but if you sand the edges it might be worth sprucing them up with some varnish...

Kickstarter Backer
    It is very weird stuff to work with. I find that some polyurethane primers work rather well on it, even on the edges and I tried the Badger ebony flesh on bare MDF last night for the first time and it works well, almost as good as their black or the Vallejo black and dark red. The lighter colours by both Vallejo and Badger are disappointing when brushed on but might work when sprayed as I intend to find out when it warms up a bit.

We usually repaint the outside woodwork but not the panels and slate the roof with a rival manufacturers product and paint it which changes the look of the buildings quite radically. I have never tried the 4Ground shingles as they would be too different for the common town look I want but I would quite like to try them on something else.

I forgot to get any of the tower and wall pieces at Salute, though I did still manage to qualify for the 30% show discount.