Thread: Mordanburg Stables - Hints & Tips

Mordanburg Stables - Hints & Tips

Going by the grand title of 28S-FAR-131. I wondered if this was worth £60. The answer: yes it is :-) I imagine it was designed to go with the inn, but it works well as a standalone building.

Overall this went together smoothly, though I found bits of the ground floor (mainly hanging the gates) a bit tricky. As with all (?) Mordanburg buildings the walls have some interesting angles.

The first thing to mention is that the labels for B1, B2 and B3 are missing from the photos for assembling sides C3 and C6 - but it is pretty obvious what they are. When it came to inserting piece C5, I found it easier to take out C4, then do C5 and then put C4 back in again; so you might want to change rage fixing order to C2, C5, C4.

Next comes the exterior timber frames and infills. I tend to do this differently from how 4Ground suggest. I will tell you how in case you want to try it. Rather than gluing all the frames in place and coming back and doing the infill; I do it all in one, one wall at a time. I spread an even and thin coat of glue over all the outside of an internal wall, place the timber frame piece in position, place all the infill pieces in place whilst the glue is still wet, and then move on to the next wall. Why? It is easier to ensure that all of an infill piece is glued down, it avoids getting glue on the frame when you are applying the glue, and it avoids putting too much glue in, such that it squirts out the side when you push an infill piece home. I do a wall at a time since that is roughly how much I can do before the glue starts to set.

One thing to note: on the E4 infill there is a tiny triangle around 4x2mm. Much too small for my fingers. I ended up pokeing it in to place with a pokey thing. The real problem is that it is tucked right in to an internal corner - something that might be worth avoiding (on future kits ;-)

As noted I found the doors somewhat fiddly but the go together like other 4Ground doors, unlike the floor above...

For the upper floor I went in for the same all-in-one approach to the frames and infill. You need to be careful of aligning the timber frame pieces: they overhang the bottom of the floor. It might be easier to put frame L2 in place first and align all the other frames to that.

The other tip I could mention about wall assembly, where I again diverge from 4Ground, is the window pieces. I don’t wait until the walls are constructed before in setting the window pieces; instead I glue them in place on the interior walls before I start constructing the walls. Why? Again I find it less messy, with little chance of glue going everywhere. It also means, since I can have the walls flat on the table, that I can easily ensure that the windows align perfectly with the walls.

The door on the upper floor is interesting. It has only one doorframe element, and a single lintel. The other half of the doorframe is part of the wall, and the bottom hinge hole is cut in to the floor. I found assembly of this door far easier than 4Ground’s “conventional” technique. I hope they do more doors that way.

There are two sidewalls/brackets (N1/N2 x2) on either side of the windows. I found it easier to glue in N2 and the glue N1 to it. The side roofs (RF1 and R2) are unusual in that you need to glue the upper (tile) side of the fixing lugs which go against the N1/2 fixing.

Roof assembly is straight forward. The hanging sign of the horse is very nice, but I don’t imagine it would last long in play. I’ve decided not to glue mine in place. What would be nice (though not likely) would be for fragile items like this to be supplied as lasercut (or etched) brass. If brass is not possible, it would be good to have a few spare signs to account for enevitable battle damage - there is plenty of room on the sheet for it.

Talking of nice to have... it is good to see the kit came with some toothpicks: these are always very useful. I would like to appeal to 4Ground to make more use of some of the ‘wasted’ space on their sprues by giving duplicates of some of the small and easily lost or broken pieces. I think of thinks like the door catches, hinges, lintels, brackets, window panes etc. It must be said that I ended up with a few extras - some lintels and window bits - from this kit :-)

Overall a great kit :-)
    Last edited by SableFox; 11-07-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Kickstarter Backer
    Thank you, I imagine this will be useful in time.
    I wonder about using magnets for 'sticky out bits' like the sign. I am sure something could be bodged from some scrap MDF.

The sign is sufficiently light weight, and the slot is tight-enough fit, that the sign holds in place just by friction. The issue is that the sign is cardboard and it hangs of two chains with millimetre thick chains.
    Last edited by SableFox; 11-07-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Incidentally it took two packets of shingles to cover the roof. The building looks much better for it, imo.

Designer
    Hi Sablefox
    Post a photo of your kit if you like ! Id like to see it with the tile kit on.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Hi Sablefox
    Post a photo of your kit if you like ! Id like to see it with the tile kit on.
    thanks
    I second that.

Will do; but it is likely that it will be the weekend before I am at home in time to photograph it in good light.

I think I took the same approach to the walls as you when I built the blacksmith last week. I also found the doors a complete nightmare to get in place properly without taking a knife to the lintel to thin it out. Have they sorted that on this one?

Kickstarter Backer
    I should have made the walls like you guys.
    been a lot of work

I had no problem with the lintels on the doors at all. Fitted perfectly for me.
    Great product all in all.