Thread: Mordanburg is dead

Mordanburg is dead

What I mean is, we have buildings, furniture to go in them, some crates, and carts. But the thing that gives a city life is the stories that it can tell. Right now, I own a lot of Mordanburg buildings, but it still feels lifeless and I think I know why.

Next to my Watchtower, there should be stocks or a guillotine (preferably both), because there's a story there. This is a place with prison cells. This is a place of judgment, pain, occasionally death, and possibly torture. I park the seven-fold path prison cart outside and some livestock crates (slave/prisoner crates), but it's not enough. Maybe the town is under the thumb of the church, who pays the warden to imprison people who don't follow his interpretation. You wouldn't know it by looking at the streets. There's no place of public judgment. In the meantime, I might pick up the Dead Man's Hand gallows.

The other thing I'd want is an open-air marketplace. Make a single cart with several different colors and patterns of paper to drape over the top, giving the appearance of different shops. Then you could sell the "wares" separate. That would allow a person to decide if the market is open or closed, and if the city is alive or dead. A market would go a long way to telling the story of the city, and a kit containing a cart or two would be small and simple.

The description for the Stoic Arms talks of docks, warehouses, lift bridges... None of this is available, and all of it is needed. I did manage to make some docks using one of your fence kits, but other than the planks, there's nothing that really identifies it as a dock. I need cranes at the very least, and they should come with a large crate or two.

Hi Rex Talon

We're hoping to do more scatter terrain for the city at some point, as you've said, marketplaces, dockside scenery and other little pieces like sheds and lean-to's should appear sometime in the future.

Kickstarter Backer
    For the houses with an external staircase to the first floor (2nd if you are an American) I quite like the idea of walkways linking the houses, almost like a raised pavement even bridging the street for use when the street is busy, muddy or flooded. Adding the third dimension to the battlefield as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingsor View Post
    For the houses with an external staircase to the first floor (2nd if you are an American) I quite like the idea of walkways linking the houses, almost like a raised pavement even bridging the street for use when the street is busy, muddy or flooded. Adding the third dimension to the battlefield as well.
    That's a good idea!

I recently played a game of Frostgrave where we took the roofs off of the buildings and used 4ground fences to connect buildings. It looked cool, but we didn't use them for several reasons. You had to climb all the way to the top of the house to get to a walkway, and we didn't end up placing treasure above ground level.
    As you suggested, the 1st (or second) floor walkways would add life to the terrain. It would make more sense to have them connected, as you suggested, to the small stairways. Plus, you wouldn't have to fiddle with them when you're lifting floors off of buildings.

In my home county, the idea of raised streets isn't fantasy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_Rows

Kickstarter Backer
    That is facinating and would make a great detail for an RPG.

That's a really great idea, but how do we make that playable terrain with the available set of buildings?

The Dockside Dwellings have a second story door, but it's usually 90 degrees from the main door. Even if it wasn't, you'd have to be able to access the ground floor without disturbing the top floor so much that minis start falling over.
    If all those buildings had an optional balcony that was wide enough to connect to the balcony of the building next to it, it could work. But that wouldn't be in the style of the FR line without additional structure underneath, which would block the first floor access.

The two level shop thing looks cool and interesting, but I just don't see how it would fit in with the available line and still be playable. Those Chester rows are a tightly packed inner city thing. All the Fabled Realms stuff is made to have alleys and be flexible enough to spread out into a village.